Mastering the intracacies of administrative law in a wide variety of industries.
BD&P's Regulatory Team is experienced in regulatory matters in a wide variety of industries and our lawyers routinely appear before provincial and federal regulatory authorities.
Those with regulatory experience in the energy area have provided advice and assistance involving all aspects of oil & gas and electricity regulatory proceedings, including projects subject to federal and/or provincial environmental assessment legislation. Other members of the Regulatory Team represent clients in a wide variety of other sectors, including competition, freedom of information and privacy protection, human rights, land use planning, occupational health & safety, securities, and water rights and usage.
BD&P regulatory lawyers appear before the National Energy Board, the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board, the Alberta Environmental Appeal Board, Environment Canada, the Alberta Surface Rights Board, the Alberta Municipal Government Board, the Alberta Information and Privacy Commissioner, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, the Human Rights Commission, the Securities Commission and the Competition Bureau and Tribunal. In addition they provide advice and assistance in dealing with Alberta Environment and Environment Canada.
In addition, BD&P has acted as counsel in regulatory appeals and judicial review applications in the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench, the Alberta Court of Appeal, the Federal Court and the Supreme Court of Canada. Our regulatory lawyers are skilled in addressing the intricacies of administrative law and are committed to providing sound, effective and practical advice to serve our clients' needs.
Significant Areas of Service
- Securing facility, environmental and land use planning approvals for oil & gas and electricity projects of all scale and scope – oil & gas wells, gas processing facilities, pipelines, oil sands projects, NGL extraction plants, petrochemical plants, refineries, LNG terminal facilities and electrical facilities
- Representing clients in rates, tolls, and tariff proceedings for pipelines and electrical transmission facilities
- Representing and advising clients on electricity market matters, including issues arising under affiliate codes of conduct and financial settlement rules
- Acting for clients in rateable take disputes, common carrier and common processor applications, and resource conservation and enhanced recovery schemes
- Representing project proponents in land acquisition and compensation proceedings
- Providing counsel on regulatory matters involving consultations and disputes with local land owners and non-governmental organizations
- Providing counsel on First Nations consultation issues and projected related consultation matters, including the negotiation of agreements where required
- Other Sectors
- Representing clients before Professional Regulatory bodies including APEGA, ADA, AMA, ACA, LSA and Regulated Accounting Professions
- Acting as counsel in obtaining development and environmental approvals
- Representing clients in general rate applications and tariff and competitive disputes, including telecommunications proceedings
- Providing advice and representation on matters arising under competition legislation, including representation before the Competition Bureau and Competition Tribunal
- Representing clients in Securities Commission investigative and enforcement proceedings
- Resolving disputes over the protection of confidential information
- Representing clients with respect to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information, developing compliant policies, access to information and dealings with privacy commissions
- Securing land use planning approvals, including land use redesignation, subdivision, servicing and development
- Advising on the acquisition, transfer and regulation of water licenses, water transfers, and water and drainage systems