Helping clients navigate the growing fields of privacy and the collection, use and disclosure of personal information as well as the developing areas of electronic documents, electronic records management and e-discovery.
BD&P's Intellectual Property & Technology Team has experience in all matters related to privacy and data collection and the collection, use and disclosure of personal information as well as in the growing fields of electronic documents, electronic records management and e-discovery.
The practitioners on this Team work regularly with other lawyers at BD&P with respect to privacy issues that arise in employment and commercial relationships, e-commerce, mergers and acquisitions, litigation and other situations involving the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. We have extensive experience assisting clients in developing appropriate privacy policies to comply with applicable legislation. We also provide advice related to access to information, to complaints from individuals, to investigations by regulatory authorities and in litigious situations. The lawyers on this Team are widely published and have given numerous presentations on privacy issues.
Our Team is conversant and experienced in the rapidly growing field of electronic records management, electronic documents and e-discovery. We assist clients in developing records management policies and in addressing the legal and evidentiary issues regarding electronically stored information.
Significant Areas of Service
- All aspects of privacy and personal information and applicable legislation
- Privacy impact assessments and privacy audits
- Preparation of privacy policies and related documentation
- Appointment of officers with privacy responsibilities
- Requests for access to information and compliance challenges
- Legal issues arising out of the design and use of computer systems and networks, including security and data flows
- Data flows across provincial and international borders and with respect to the World Wide Web and Internet-specific issues regarding privacy and electronic records
- Matters arising out of PIPEDA, PIPA and FOIP
- Records and document retention and destruction policies, including advice on policies related to and the transfer or sale of personal information
- Matters before the Information and Privacy Commission of Alberta and the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
- Privacy issues arising in administrative proceedings and litigation