Highly innovative and proactive, this Team has been instrumental in the creation of a number of tax-assisted financing vehicles.
BD&P's Tax Team is widely recognized as a leader in its field, particularly as the practice relates to the Energy Sector. Highly innovative and proactive, this Team has been instrumental in the creation of a number of tax-assisted financing vehicles, including the first large-scale investments by pension fund resource corporations in the oil & gas industry and the first use of royalty trusts in a public financing context.
BD&P tax advice has been instrumental in developing both domestic and cross-border tax strategies used by its clients to effect successful acquisitions in the energy sector and elsewhere, including the creation of the original royalty trust. BD&P has extensive experience in the use of limited partnerships, joint ventures, trusts and hybrid vehicles in the structuring of business ventures and in maximizing the income benefits of corporate reorganizations. BD&P offers a comprehensive and insightful approach to the provision of tax advice and is committed to assisting its clients in attaining their business objectives.
BD&P's tax lawyers have played a pivotal role in a number of tax oriented professional organizations including the Canadian Tax Foundation and the Canadian Petroleum Tax Society.
Significant Areas of Service
- Mergers and acquisitions and resource taxation
- Reorganizations, restructurings and financings
- Flow‑through shares
- Transactions involving royalty trusts, income funds and REITs
- Cross‑border transactions, joint venturing, and licensing
- Domestic and international equipment leasing and financing syndications
- Tax loss utilization transactions
- Partnerships and joint ventures
- Private equity investment funds, venture capital, and startup companies
- Tax aspects of insolvency and debt restructuring
- Employment compensation issues
- Offshore technology rights
- Real estate transactions
- Stock options and executive compensation
- GST issues
- Tax planning for start-up businesses
- Tax planning for family-owned businesses, including succession planning