Ashley's focus is on:
- Oil & gas transactions including asset and share acquisitions and dispositions
- Negotiating and drafting oil & gas-related agreements
- Advice regarding joint ownership and the conduct of joint operations
- Oil & gas due diligence including title review and drilling opinions
- International oil & gas transactions
- Energy projects
- Asset and share acquisitions, mergers and divestitures
- Corporate reorganizations
- Negotiating and drafting commercial agreements
- Corporate governance
- Corporate and asset due diligence
- General corporate and commercial matters
Ashley is the Chair of the Student Committee and the Associates' Committee (Partner member) at BD&P. She is also:
- Director, Canadian Energy Law Foundation, 2015 to present (President 2021-2022)
- Paper Co-Chair, Organizing Committee for the Canadian Energy Law Foundation Energy Research Seminar, Jasper, Alberta, 2014 to 2021
- Director-at-Large, Legal, Petroleum Joint Venture Association, 2013 to 2019
- Course Instructor in Rights of First Refusal - Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen
- Course Instructor in Freehold Lessor Estates - Canadian Association of Petroleum Land Administrators
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
Ashley has also presented at various conferences, panels, seminars, and other events, including:
- Redwater: A Post-Mortem and Legal Perspective, Petroleum Accountants Society of Canada, March 2020
- Anatomy of an Oil and Gas Transaction, Canadian Energy Law Foundation (CELF) Fundamentals Seminar, Banff, Alberta, November 2019
- LMR, the Redwater Decision and Where We Are Now, Canadian Association of Petroleum Land Administration Conference, November 2019
- Let's Talk About Royalties: the Continued Uncertainty Surrounding the Creation of the Overriding Royalty, Canadian Energy Law Foundation (CELF) Jasper Research Seminar, June 2019
- Overriding Royalties as Interests in Land – from Dynex to Dianor and beyond…, Canadian Bar Association, Alberta Branch, April 2019
- After Redwater: Legal and Practical Implications, Petroleum Joint Venture Association and Petroleum Accountants Society of Canada Seminar, March 2019
- Oil & Gas Encounters Insolvency: Latest Developments and Trends from a Legal Perspective, PASC Conference, March 2018
Ashley has articles, chapters, and journals published in various publications, including:
- Vesting off interests in land: the latest Dianor decision, ABlawg: The University of Calgary Faculty of Law Blog, 2019
- Let’s talk about royalties: the continued uncertainty surrounding the creation and legal status of the overriding royalty, Alberta Law Review, Volume 52, Issue 2, 2019
- Uncertain Succession: The Past, Present and Future of Royalties and Vesting in Canadian Insolvency Law, Annual Review of Insolvency Law, 2018
Graham Group’s acquisition of AECOM’s energy operations and maintenance business
Counsel to the Graham Group of Companies in the acquisition of the North American assets of AECOM’s Energy Operations and Maintenance Division. The acquisition positions the Graham Group as the third largest construction company in Canada and Western Canada’s largest industrial services company.
Tidewater Renewables $150 million public offering
Counsel to a syndicate of underwriters led by CIBC in Tidewater Renewables Ltd.'s initial public offering of 10,000,000 common shares for gross proceeds of $150 million.
Greenfire Acquisition Corporation acquisition of Japan Canada Oil Sands Limited
Counsel to Greenfire Acquisition Corporation in its acquisition of all of the shares of Japan Canada Oil Sands Limited, which has a working interest in the Hangingstone facility in Alberta, for an undisclosed amount.
Saguaro Resources Ltd. sale of energy assets to Tourmaline Oil Corp.
Counsel to Saguaro Resources Ltd. in the sale of 50% of its assets in the Laprise-Conroy North Montney area of British Columbia to Tourmaline Oil Corp. for $205 million. The companies entered into a joint venture agreement to development the assets with Tourmaline operating the joint venture and related facilities
Scoular Company's sale of its edible bean business for US $25 million
Canadian counsel to the Scoular Company, a large, privately-owned US agricultural commodities trading company, in the sale of its edible bean business, which included processing plants in St. Hilaire, Minnesota, U.S.; Plum Coulee and Morden, Manitoba; and receiving stations in Garske and Grafton, North Dakota, U.S., to Cooperative Elevator Co., for approximately US $25 million.
Ovintiv Canada ULC's termination of joint venture with PetroChina Canada Ltd.
Counsel to Ovintiv Canada for the termination of their 2012 Duvernay shale joint venture and partition of assets.
Bellatrix Exploration Ltd.'s divestiture of substantially all of its assets
Counsel to Bellatrix Exploration Ltd. in its divestiture of substantially all of its assets to Winslow Resources Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Return Energy Inc. (renamed Spartan Delta Corp.), in the context of Bellatrix’s proceedings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act.
SemCAMS long-term arrangement for sour gas production
Counsel to SemCAMS in respect to its long-term agreement with the Canadian subsidiary of a large international oil and gas company to process sour gas production at its Wapiti Gas Plant. Key to this mandate was the execution of 10 year long-term take-or pay commitments for the NW Wapiti Pipeline, the Wapiti Gas Plant, the Wapiti Pipeline and the Simonette Pipeline.
TransAlta Corporation's development of a wind power project
Counsel to TransAlta Corporation in connection with the development of a 200 MW+ wind farm project following it having achieved “Selected Proponent” status under AESO’s REP Round 3 program.
PrairieSky Royalty Ltd.'s acquisition of royalty rights
Counsel to PrairieSky Royalty Ltd. in the $250 million acquisition of a 4% gross overriding royalty on current and future phases of Lindbergh SAGD thermal oil project from Pengrowth Energy Corporation.
Athabasca Oil Corporation's light oil joint venture
Counsel to Athabasca in the $486 million light oil joint venture with Murphy Oil Company Ltd., the Canadian subsidiary to Murphy Oil Corporation, to develop the Duvernay and Montney in the Kaybob area of northwestern Alberta.
PrairieSky Royalty Ltd.'s $1.8 billion asset acquisition
Counsel to PrairieSky Royalty Ltd. in $1.8 billion acquisition of royalty assets from Canadian Natural Resources Limited.
Tourmaline Oil Corp.'s Peace River High joint venture
Counsel to Tourmaline Oil Corp. in the $500 million Peace River High sale to and joint venture with Canadian Non-Operated Resources LP.
PrairieSky Royalty Ltd.'s $1.67 billion IPO
Counsel to the underwriters in the initial public offering of PrairieSky Royalty Ltd. of common shares for a total of $1.67 billion conducted by way of secondary offering by Encana Corporation.
Progress Energy Canada Ltd.'s acquisition of energy assets
Counsel to Progress Energy Canada Ltd. in the $1.5 billion acquisition of part of Talisman Energy Ltd.'s Montney acreage in northeast British Columbia.
Sale of natural gas assets in British Columbia and Alberta
Counsel to a potential bidder on the sale of Enbridge Inc.'s Canadian natural gas gathering and processing business in the Montney, Peace River Arch, Horn River and Liard basins.
Power development company's acquisition of green power
Advising a power development company on a limited partnership and contract for differences with a corporate investor that was interested in acquiring green power from an independent wind project as part of its efforts to reduce its carbon footprint.
Power company's bid to acquire Regional Power Inc.
Advising a power development company on its due diligence and bid to acquire Regional Power Inc., a corporate group with 106 MW of hydroelectric assets in BC and Ontario from ManuLife Financial Corporation.
Development of an LNG export project
Counsel to a consortium of limited partners and shareholders on the strategic implications of the joint development agreement on their interests as partners/shareholders and as gas suppliers to the proposed LNG export project.
TransAlta Corporation's joint venture arrangements for a power plant development
Counsel to TransAlta Corporation in respect of negotiating and preparing joint venture arrangements for the development of new wind power plants.
Recent honours and recognition
Named in Best Lawyers in Canada as a recommended lawyer in energy law and oil and gas law (2022)
Recognized by Chambers Canada as an up and coming lawyer in energy: oil and gas (transactional) (2020-2022)
Leading lawyer Energy (Oil & Gas) in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2019-2022)
Named in Lexpert's special edition on Canada's leading energy lawyers (2020)
Lexpert Rising Stars honouring Canada's Leading Lawyers under 40 (2018)
Named in Expert Guides -The Legal Media Group's Rising Stars, in energy and natural resources (Canada), (2017-2018)
Associate to watch in the area of energy: oil & gas (nationwide) by Chambers Canada (2016-2017)
December 3, 2019
Let’s talk about royalties: the continued uncertainty surrounding the creation and legal status of the overriding royalty
July 11, 2019
January 31, 2019
April 23, 2021
October 27, 2020
September 9, 2020
April 29, 2020
May 3, 2019
November 9, 2018