Daria maintains a broad commercial litigation and arbitration practice. She has assisted clients on matters in construction, employment, energy, debt recovery and estates. Additionally, she has experience in complex interlocutory injunctions. Daria has appeared in Provincial Court and the Court of Queen's Bench.
Daria's focus is on:
- Provided research and other support to Inter Pipeline Ltd. in precedent-setting defence of an application before the Alberta Securities Commission involving a hostile takeover (Re Bison Acquisition Corp., 2021 ABASC 188).
- Acted for a general contractor in an arbitration dispute involving the construction of a pipeline.
- Research and other support on the appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada on behalf of Peace River Hydro Partners, in Peace River Hydro Partners, et al. v. Petrowest Corporation, et al.
- Counsel on a successful defence of an injunction application by an employer, involving allegations of breaches of fiduciary duties (2022 ABQB 58).
- Defended multiple small claims brought against an oil and gas exploration company.
- Counsel on multiple appeals of decisions of the Municipal Tax Assessment Board.
- Counsel on a successful defence of a mandatory injunction application.
Daria is fluent in Russian.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Advocates' Society
- Member, Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners (YCAP)
Successfully defended a pharmacy group in a breach of confidence case
Counsel to a pharmacy group in the successful defence of an injunction application seeking to prevent them from competing by soliciting the clients of their former employer. The Court held that the employer had failed to make out a strong case for breach of fiduciary duty or breach of confidence. (GG & HH Inc. v 2306084 Alberta Ltd., 2022 ABQB 58).
Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P's $6.8 billion acquisition of Inter Pipeline Ltd.
Counsel to Inter Pipeline Ltd. in its acquisition by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P pursuant to a statutory plan of arrangement for $6.8 billion.
Precedent-setting securities law decision
Counsel successfully representing Inter Pipeline Ltd. (IPL) in a precedent-setting case before the Alberta Securities Commission. The case addressed Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P.'s use of total return swaps in its takeover bid of IPL. The decision is the first time that a Canadian securities regulator has directly addressed the use of total return swaps within the context of takeover bids following the changes to the Canadian takeover bid regime in 2016. (Re Bison Acquisition Corp., 2021 ABASC 100)
October 6, 2022
August 18, 2022
February 2, 2022