Evan's focus is on:
- Practice focused on administrative, regulatory and environmental law matters related to the energy sector
- Representation of project proponents and intervenors in all manner of regulatory proceedings related to mining, electrical and oil & gas facilities applications, electricity market and pipeline matters
- Aboriginal and Environmental matters, including environmental assessments and approvals as well as stakeholder consultation issues
- Regulatory appeals
- Negotiations with First Nations groups in relation to securing project approvals
- Negotiation and preparation of various commercial agreements involving First Nations and industry proponents
Court and tribunal appearances
- Appearances before the Alberta Court of Appeal, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and Provincial Court of Alberta as well as appearances before the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) and its predecessor the Energy Resources Conservation Board (ERCB), the Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) and the National Energy Board (NEB).
Evan volunteers with Calgary Legal Guidance.
In-house counsel to one of Canada’s largest pipeline utility companies where Evan assisted in the development and implementation of legal and regulatory strategy for pipeline and energy projects
Counsel to a quasi-judicial board responsible for the economic regulation of public utilities
Counsel to a large independent power producer and marketer in respect of electricity market matters before the AUC
Co-counsel to a large Canadian municipality in proceedings before the ERCB pursuant to the Pipeline Act to have a segment of pipeline relocated to allow the construction of municipal road infrastructure
Co-counsel to the Province of Alberta in respect of the Enbridge Northern Gateway Project
Negotiations with a First Nation Group and the Government of Canada in relation to the ongoing operation of NEB regulated pipeline infrastructure located on a Reserve
Representation of various stakeholders and stakeholder groups in AUC proceedings pertaining to the development of electrical transmission facilities
Counsel to a market participant in proceedings before the Alberta Utilities Commission to develop the competitive procurement process for the opportunity to build, finance, own and operate a 500kV Transmission line from the Edmonton Region to Fort McMurray area
Member, Law Society of Alberta
Member, Canadian Bar Association
Member, Calgary Bar Association
Evan has also presented at various conferences, panels, seminars, and other events, including:
- Understanding the New Canadian Energy Regulator and Impact Assessment Agency, Petroleum Accountants Society of Canada, Insights 2020, March 2020
- Recent Regulatory and Legislative Developments of Interest to Energy Lawyers, The Canadian Energy Law Foundation Annual Jasper Conference, 2012 and 2015
- Impact of Recent & Proposed Regulatory Changes, BD&P Client Seminar, April 2015
- Risky Business: Protecting Against Counterparty Default and Insolvency Risk, BD&P Client Seminar, March 2015
- Mitigating Directors' Exposure for Personal Environmental Liability, BD&P Client Seminar, February 2014
ARC Resources Ltd.'s $8.1 billion combination
Counsel to ARC Resources Ltd. in its $8.1 billion strategic Montney combination with Seven Generations Energy, resulting in ARC becoming Canada's largest condensate producer, third-largest natural gas producer and sixth-largest upstream energy company.
Government of Alberta's TMX reconsideration before the National Energy Board
Co-counsel to the Government of Alberta in respect of the expedited Trans Mountain Expansion Project reconsideration hearing where the National Energy Board recommended that the Project proceed.
Alberta Petroleum Marketing Commission crude by rail project
Counsel to the Alberta Petroleum Marketing Commission in connection with the Alberta Government's publicly announced 120,000 bbls/d, $3.7 billion crude by rail (CBR) initiative for the transportation of Alberta crude oil by rail car to markets in the U.S. and Canada.
MEG Energy Corp.'s $1.5 billion asset disposition
Counsel to MEG in the $1.5 billion disposition of a 50% interest in Access Pipeline and 100% interest in Stonefell Terminal to Wolf Midstream Inc.
Encana Corporation's $2 billion disposition of assets
Counsel to Encana Corporation (now Ovintiv Inc.) in the $2 billion disposition of its Bighorn assets in Alberta to Jupiter Resources Inc.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited's $3.1 billion acquisition
Counsel to Canadian Natural Resources Limited in its $3.125 billion acquisition of Devon Energy Corp.'s Canadian conventional assets, excluding Horn River and the heavy oil properties.
US Development Group LLC's joint venture with Gibson Energy
Counsel to US Development Group LLC in its 50/50 joint venture with Gibson Energy to advance the financing, development and construction of a Diluent Recovery Unit in Hardisty, Alberta.
Environmental and restoration matters arising from the construction of a transmission power line
Counsel to an Alberta-based power producer in connection with environmental remediation and restoration obligations arising out of the construction of a transmission power line in a National Park in conjunction with a pipeline project.
Appearances before the Alberta Utilities Commission
Representation of various stakeholders and stakeholder groups in AUC proceedings pertaining to the development of electrical transmission facilities.
Government of Alberta respecting constitutional challenges to Alberta legislation
Counsel to the Government of Alberta before the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench and Federal Court of Canada in respect of injunction applications sought by the Province of British Columbia challenging the constitutionality of the Preserving Canada's Economic Prosperity Ac tGovernment of Alberta in respect of the TMX Reconsideration Proceeding.
Transmountain expansion project reconsideration proceeding before the NEB
Counsel to the Government of Alberta in respect of the expedited Trans Mountain Expansion Project reconsideration hearing.
Recent honours and recognition
Recommended lawyer in energy and natural resources: oil & gas by The Legal 500 Canada (2019)
September 1, 2020
May 26, 2020
January 7, 2019
Alberta crude oil curtailment: a Q&A. What operators need to know about the amendments to the curtailment rules
December 5, 2018
October 19, 2018
Supreme Court of Canada finds no duty to consult with First Nations in the development of new legislation
August 31, 2018
November 29, 2018