- Commercial & General Litigation
- David has appeared before all levels of Court in Alberta, including the Provincial Court, the Court of Queen's Bench and the Court of Appeal. He has also represented clients in leave to appeal applications to the Supreme Court of Canada. David's commercial practice includes a large number of business partner disputes, including matters relating to oppression remedies, partnership dissolutions, shareholder/business valuations and forensic investigations and audits.
- Construction Litigation
- David acts for owners, general contractors and subcontractors in a variety of industrial, commercial and institutional construction projects. He has provided advice on drafting construction contracts and on disputes arising during construction, including bid/tender disputes, surety bonds disputes, delay claims, faulty workmanship claims and lien claims. David is familiar with the pressures that clients in the construction industry face, including those arising from the need to maintain project schedules, ensure quality workmanship and meet project budgets. He provides practical advice enabling his clients to respond to the legal challenges that arise in relation to these pressures.
- Labour Law
- David has appeared before and made submissions to the Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan Labour Relations Boards. He has experience in a wide variety of labour issues, including certification drives, unfair labour practices and grievance arbitrations. Much of David's labour experience relates to the construction industry, although he has also represented clients in the retail, health care and manufacturing sectors.
- Osgoode Certificate in Construction Law, 2016
- Law Clerk at the Court of Appeal for Ontario: O'Connor A.C.J.O., and Doherty, Gillese and Epstein JJ.A., 2007-2008
- University of Toronto, Juris Doctor (Honours), 2007 (Dean's Key Recipient)
- Bora Laskin Prize in Constitutional Law; Rocco Marcello Prize in Securities Law
- University of Calgary, Master of Arts, 2004 (Canada Graduate Scholarship Recipient)
- University of Calgary, Bachelor of Arts, 2002 (with Distinction) (Silver Medallist)
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
Honours & Recognition
- Named in Best Lawyers in Canada as a recommended lawyer in the areas of Construction Law and Labour and Employment Law, 2020-2022
- Named as a Future Star in Benchmark Canada, the Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, 2019-2021
- Named by Benchmark Litigation in their Canadian 40 and Under Hot List, 2019-2021
- Named in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a lawyer to watch in the area of Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2020
- Panelist, Best Practices for Construction Arbitrations I: Practical Tools, Construction Law Advocacy Conference, Advocates Society, October 2021
- Presenter, Privilege and Construction Risk Assessments, 12th Annual Managing Risk in Construction Contracts & Projects Conference, The Canadian Institute, March 2020
- Presenter, Ethics Seminar: Pressing Issues Confronting the Canadian Construction Industry, 9th Annual Managing Risk in Construction Contracts & Projects Conference, The Canadian Institute, January 2017
- Presenter, Builders' Liens, Client Seminar, March 2016
- Regional Director (Alberta), Society for Construction Law
- Sessional Instructor, University of Calgary, Trial Advocacy Course
Recent Case Involvement
- Lead counsel in a successful leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada on behalf of Peace River Hydro Partners, in Peace River Hydro Partners, et al. v. Petrowest Corporation, et al., a case which involves the question of whether a receiver can disclaim an arbitration clause while still enforcing the underlying contract.