- Commercial & General Litigation
- David has appeared before all levels of Court in Alberta, including the Provincial Court, the Court of Queen's Bench and the Court of Appeal. He has also represented clients in leave to appeal applications to the Supreme Court of Canada. David's commercial practice includes a large number of business partner disputes, including matters relating to oppression remedies, partnership dissolutions, shareholder/business valuations and forensic investigations and audits.
- Construction Litigation
- David acts for owners, general contractors and subcontractors in a variety of industrial, commercial and institutional construction projects. He has provided advice on drafting construction contracts and on disputes arising during construction, including bid/tender disputes, surety bonds disputes, delay claims, faulty workmanship claims and lien claims. David is familiar with the pressures that clients in the construction industry face, including those arising from the need to maintain project schedules, ensure quality workmanship and meet project budgets. He provides practical advice enabling his clients to respond to the legal challenges that arise in relation to these pressures.
- Labour Law
- David has appeared before and made submissions to the Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan Labour Relations Boards. He has experience in a wide variety of labour issues, including certification drives, unfair labour practices and grievance arbitrations. Much of David's labour experience relates to the construction industry, although he has also represented clients in the retail, health care and manufacturing sectors.
- Osgoode Certificate in Construction Law, 2016
- Law Clerk at the Court of Appeal for Ontario: O'Connor A.C.J.O., and Doherty, Gillese and Epstein JJ.A., 2007-2008
- University of Toronto, Juris Doctor (Honours), 2007 (Dean's Key Recipient)
- Bora Laskin Prize in Constitutional Law; Rocco Marcello Prize in Securities Law
- University of Calgary, Master of Arts, 2004 (Canada Graduate Scholarship Recipient)
- University of Calgary, Bachelor of Arts, 2002 (with Distinction) (Silver Medallist)
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
Honours & Recognition
- Named as a Future Star in Benchmark Canada, the Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, 2019
- Presenter, Ethics Seminar: Pressing Issues Confronting the Canadian Construction Industry, 9th Annual Managing Risk in Construction Contracts & Projects Conference, The Canadian Institute, January 2017
- Presenter, Builders' Liens, Client Seminar, March 2016
- Sessional Instructor, University of Calgary, Trial Advocacy Course