Kirk's focus is on:
- Mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, restructurings and financings
- Resource taxation
- Business succession planning
- Tax litigation and resolution of tax disputes
Corporate and Commercial Law
- Incorporation, formation of organization of business associations, including corporations and partnerships
- Mergers, acquisitions and business combinations
- Corporate reorganizations
- Share and asset acquisition and dispositions
- Business succession planning
Sports and Associations Law
- Incorporation, formation and organization of sports organizations
- Governance, discipline and regulation of organizations, leagues and members
- Representation and negotiation relating to commercial transactions
- Dispute resolution, mediation and arbitration
- Commercial agreements
Kirk was a Co-Chair of the Hockey Canada Foundation Celebrity Classic in 2013 and a Committee Member of the Hockey Canada Foundation Celebrity Classic in 2008.
Kirk serves as a Director of Hockey Canada and Fifth Line Foundation. He was also the Chairman and President of the Canadian Junior Hockey League from 2012 to 2017.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
Kirk has also presented at various conferences, panels, seminars, and other events, including:
- Using Transaction Insurance to Solve Risk Allocation in the Current M&A Transaction Environment, BD&P Client Seminar co-hosted with Gallagher Energy Risk Services and Ironshore Canada, June 2015
Kicking Horse Oil & Gas Ltd.'s $300 million acquisition by Whitecap Resources Inc
Counsel to Kicking Horse Oil & Gas Ltd., a portfolio company of Quantum Energy Partners, in its $300 million acquisition by Whitecap Resources Inc.
Headwater Exploration Inc.'s recapitalization of Corridor Resources Inc.
Counsel to Headwater Exploration Inc. management team in the $50 million recapitalization and reconstitution of management of Corridor Resources Inc.
Gear Energy Ltd.'s $70 million acquisition
Counsel to Gear Energy Ltd. regarding a $70 million plan of arrangement acquisition of Steppe Resources Inc.
$2.8 billion acquisition of Raging River Exploration Inc.
Counsel to Raging River Exploration Inc., a Canadian oil producer, in the $2.8 billion strategic acquisition.
NuVista Energy Ltd.'s acquisition of pipestone business of Cenovus Energy Inc.
Counsel to NuVista in the $625 million acquisition of the Cenovus Pipestone Partnership, which holds assets in the Pipestone area of Northwest Alberta.
NewAlta Corporation's $1 billion merger with Tervita Corporation
Counsel to NewAlta in the $1 billion merger with Tervita Corporation, a Canadian environmental solutions provider, in a stock swap transaction.
$232 million acquisition of Canadian Helicopters Limited
Counsel to Don Wall and CHL Heli-Acquisition Company Ltd. in the $232 million acquisition of HNZ Group Inc. (Canadian Helicopters Limited).
Canyon Services Group Inc.'s acquisition by Trican Well Service Ltd.
Counsel to Canyon Services Group in the $637 million acquisition by Trican.
$220 million acquisition of UGR Blair Creek Ltd.
Counsel to UGR Blair Creek Ltd. in its $220 million acquisition by Painted Pony Petroleum Ltd.
Savanna Energy Services Corp.'s hostile takeover defence
Counsel to Savanna Energy Services in the defence of a $450 million hostile takeover bid by Total Energy Services Inc.
Ag Growth International Inc.'s $221 million acquisition
Counsel to Ag Growth International Inc. in the $221 million acquisition of the Westeel division of Vicwest Inc.
Toscana Energy Income Corporation's acquisition of Toscana Financial Income Trust
Independent counsel to the special committee of independent directors of Toscana Financial Income Trust in the $34.3 million acquisition and related party transaction by Toscana Energy Income Corporation completed by a plan of arrangement.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited's $3.1 billion acquisition
Counsel to Canadian Natural Resources Limited in its $3.125 billion acquisition of Devon Energy Corp.'s Canadian conventional assets, excluding Horn River and the heavy oil properties.
Spartan Energy Corp. acquisition of Renegade Petroleum Ltd.
Counsel to Renegade Petroleum Ltd. in the $495 million acquisition by Spartan Energy Corp. pursuant to a plan of arrangement.
March 24, 2020