Matthew's focus is on:
- Commercial and general litigation
- Construction litigation
- Energy litigation
- Securities litigation
- Commercial arbitration
- Class action
Matthew has over 6 years of experience providing legal advice on an array of commercial and general litigation matters, with a focus on the construction and energy sectors. His experience also extends to commercial arbitration, mediation, and pre-litigation strategic advice in a wide variety of legal contexts, including shareholder oppression, commercial real estate and leasing, and agricultural litigation.
Matthew has appeared before the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench, the Alberta Court of Appeal and has prepared submissions in leave applications to the Supreme Court of Canada. Matthew’s strengths lie in charting case strategy, conducting work with witnesses, and representing clients’ interests before all levels of court and before private arbitrators and mediators.
A select review of Matthew’s experience includes:
- Chevron Canada Resources v. Canada, 2019 ABQB 418: Acted on behalf of Chevron Canada Resources at trial against the Federal Government, during which Chevron successfully obtained judgment for royalty overpayments to the government;
- Intact Insurance Company v. Clauson Cold & Cooler Ltd., 2020 ABCA 161: Acted on behalf of Clauson Cold & Cooler Ltd. before the Court of Appeal, successfully defeating Clauson’s insurer’s appeal of a judgment requiring it to defend Clauson in underlying litigation; and
- CNOOC Petroleum North America ULC v. 801 Seventh Inc.: Acting on behalf of CNOOC Petroleum North America ULC in ongoing proceedings pertaining to defective construction materials and their impact on a commercial lease.
Beyond these select examples, Matthew has regularly appeared in both Masters and Justice Chambers to make submissions on behalf of his clients in both regular and special chambers sittings.
Matthew’s common sense approach to litigious, or potentially litigious, disputes sets him apart from other advisors. At all times, Matthew provides candid advice to his clients and seeks to find solutions that make practical sense for his clients.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association