James is a corporate securities and M&A lawyer who represents a range of public and private corporations, trusts, limited partnerships and national and regional investment dealers. His clients live in a variety of industries, including in the oil and gas, pipeline, real estate, industrial, finance and mining businesses sectors.
His focus is on:
- Public and private brokered and non-brokered offerings of equity and debt securities
- Initial public offerings and short form prospectus offerings
- Takeover bids (hostile and friendly), issuer bids (normal course and substantial), mergers, arrangements, amalgamations, acquisitions, reorganizations, reverse takeovers, share exchanges and other business combinations
- Going public and private transactions
- Debenture amendments
- Private and public company start-ups
- Stock exchange listing and compliance and reporting matters
- Securities regulatory reporting and compliance
- Related party transactions
- Proxy contests and securityholder activism
- Board and committee advisory and corporate governance matters
- Security-based compensation arrangements
- General corporate, partnership and trust matters
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P's $6.8 billion acquisition of Inter Pipeline Ltd.
Counsel to Inter Pipeline Ltd. in its acquisition by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P pursuant to a statutory plan of arrangement for $6.8 billion.
Inter Pipeline Ltd.'s $500 million note offering
Counsel to Inter Pipeline Ltd. in a public offering of $500 million senior unsecured medium-term notes.
Tourmaline Oil Corp.'s $1.3 billion acquisition of energy assets
Counsel to Tourmaline Oil Corp. in the $1.37 billion acquisition of strategic assets located in the Alberta Deep Basin and the north east British Columbia Gundy area from Shell Canada Energy.
Tourmaline Oil Corp.'s $750 million financing
Counsel to Tourmaline Oil Corp in the $750 million financing comprising a $115 million public offering of 3,309,700 subscription receipts and the concurrent private placement offering of 18,274,000 subscription receipts with certain institutional investors for gross proceeds of approximately $635 million
Inter Pipeline Ltd.'s $600 million public offering
Counsel to Inter Pipeline Ltd. in a $600 million public offering of 22,430,000 subscription receipts.
Perpetual Energy Inc.'s restructuring and settlement of convertible debentures
Counsel to Perpetual Energy Inc. regarding recapitalization transactions, including a $25 million backstopped rights offering, settlement of 7.00% convertible debentures and a contested Alberta Securities Commission hearing. (Re Perpetual Energy Inc., 2015 ABASC 2)
Inter Pipeline Fund conversion to Inter Pipeline Ltd.
Counsel to Inter Pipeline Fund in its conversion to Inter Pipeline Ltd., a dividend paying corporation.
Decisive Farming Corp.'s private placement of preferred shares
Counsel to Decisive Farming Corp. regarding the private placement of Class B, Series 1 preferred shares.
Decisive Farming Corp.'s private placement of notes
Counsel to Decisive Farming Corp. regarding the private placement of 10.00% unsecured convertible redeemable notes
Recent honours and recognition
Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada in M&A and Securities Law (2023)
Named in The Legal 500 Canada as a recommended lawyer in Capital Markets (2023)
Named by Lexpert Magazine as one of Canada’s Rising Stars – Leading Lawyers Under 40 (2012)
November 30, 2023
August 24, 2023
November 15, 2022