Ryan’s practice focuses on commercial litigation and restructuring, including commercial bankruptcy and insolvency. He acts for lenders, debtors and restructuring professionals, including trustees, monitors and receivers. Ryan has experience in insolvency proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA) and court-appointed receiverships, particularly in the oil and gas sector. His litigation practice involves advising on disputes, debtor/creditor claims, oil and gas and employment. Ryan also assists clients with non-litigation employment matters.
Ryan also advises on (other practice area) matters for many industries.
- The Monitor, Receiver and Trustee of a Limited Partnership whose limited partners represented over 10,000 German investors.
- The primary landlord in the cross-border Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA)/Chapter 15 restructuring proceedings of Sanjel Corporation and its affiliates, a large private and family-owned oil-field services group of companies, with assets in Canada, the U.S. and the Middle East.
- The debtor in the CCAA proceedings of Shoreline Energy Corp.
- The Alberta Securities Commission in the CBCA Plans of Arrangement of 132 Canadian entities related to the CCAA filing of Walton International Group.
- The Trustee in the bankruptcy of Fortune Creek Gathering and Processing Partnership.
- The Court-appointed Receivers of MJ’s Waterhauling Co. Ltd. et al; HRPO Group of Companies Inc.; Purcee Industrial Controls Ltd.; and RWJ Roofing and Construction Inc.
- The secured lender in the BIA proposal proceedings of Resource Capital Gold Corp and its subsidiaries.
- The purchaser of a pipeline and facility regarding dispute over $25,000,000 ROFR valuation.
- An operator in a dispute regarding the operatorship of over 60 Joint Operating Agreements pursuant to the provisions of the CAPL Operating Procedure.
- A publicly traded junior oil and gas company regarding operatorship challenges under provisions of a Farmout Agreement.
During law school Ryan provided pro bono legal advice to low-income individuals through Student Legal Service and continues to do so today through the Civil Claims Duty Counsel Project at the Calgary Courts.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Executive Member of the Canadian Bar Association Insolvency Law Section - Alberta South
Honours and Recognitions
Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as Ones to Watch in Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law (2023)
April 14, 2020
February 1, 2024
August 24, 2023
August 3, 2021