- Resource taxation
- Corporate reorganizations, both public and private
- Cross-border and international transactions
- Tax-deferred financing
- Taxation of non-residents
- Structured finance
- Public finance
- University of Windsor, Bachelor of Laws, 1981
- University of Windsor, Bachelor of Arts, History and Economics, 1978
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Former Governor, Member of Executive Committee, Canadian Tax Foundation
Honours & Recognition
- Named in The Legal 500 Canada as a recommended lawyer in Tax, 2018-2020
- Named in Lexpert's Special Edition Canada's Leading Corporate Lawyers, annually since 2013
- Named in Lexpert's Special Edition Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers, annually since 2013
- Named in Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of Tax Law annually since 2006
- Named in Chambers Global Canada as a leading lawyer in Tax, 2016
- Named in Chamber's Global Client's Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of Tax, 2002-2016
- Named in the Lexpert American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, in the area of Corporate Tax, 2002-2016 and 2018-2019
- Named in Lexpert's Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, annually since 2007
- Named in the Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory as a leading practitioner in Corporate Tax annually since 2002 and in Energy (Oil & Gas) annually since 2007
- Named in Who's Who Legal: Canada in the area of Corporate Tax Law, annually since 2010
- Named in Who's Who Legal, the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, in the area of Corporate Tax, 2009-2014
- Named in Expert Guides -The Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers in Tax, 2013-2017
- Named in Which Lawyer as a highly recommended lawyer in Tax Law, 2007-2013 (ceased publication in 2013)
- Named as Best Lawyers in Canada Calgary Tax Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- Named as TopGun Director by Brendan Wood International, 2011
- Named in Lexpert's Guide to the 100 Most Creative Lawyers in Canada, 2006
- Named in Lexpert's Guide to the Top 100 Industry Specialists in Canada, 2006
- Cardinal Energy Ltd.
- Crew Energy Inc. (Chairman)
- Just Energy Group Inc.
- Leucrotta Exploration Inc.
- Storm Resources Ltd.
- TORC Oil & Gas Ltd.
- Velvet Energy Ltd.
- Fellow, Jarislowsky Fellowship in Business Management, Haskayne School of Business
- Member, Calgarians Committed to Change Cabinet, RESOLVE Campaign, Calgary Homeless Foundation
Professional & Firm Involvement