Providing practical advice specific to the clients’ business needs, with a view to minimizing the recurrence of legal problems and promoting productive work environments.
BD&P's Employment & Labour Law Team has the experience and depth to provide comprehensive advice and creative solutions in all matters pertaining to Employment Law. Our Team can provide prompt and practical advice specific to the client's business needs, with a view to minimizing the recurrence of legal problems and promoting productive work environments.
Members of our Team work closely with other lawyers in the firm as part of a cross‑disciplinary team, drawing on the skills and knowledge of lawyers in securities, tax, intellectual property and other areas that arise in the context of employment law. In addition, these lawyers engage accountants, actuaries and other professionals where required to resolve our clients' employment issues.
This Team regularly plans and negotiates a variety of successful termination proposals for both employees and employers, without resorting to costly litigation, and is experienced in alternative dispute resolution procedures such as mediations and arbitrations. Should the need arise, BD&P's Employment Law Team has extensive experience in all levels of court, commissions and panels.
The Employment Team earned top listing in Calgary in Best Lawyers, 2015-2017 for having the most employment lawyers in one firm named to the publication as being leading lawyers in Canada in Employment Law.
Significant Areas of Service
- Assisting in the review, drafting and development of personnel policies and practices
- Assisting in all aspects of wrongful dismissal and employment termination
- Interpretation and drafting of employment contracts, management agreements, consulting arrangements, competition and confidentiality agreements, change of control and retention contracts, stock option and bonus plans and trade secrets
- Conducting employment audits for the purpose of identifying employee relation risks
- Interpretation of legislation regarding hiring practices, benefits, employment codes and human rights issues
- Providing advice, strategy and direction on employment issues that arise in the context of corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Drafting and interpreting harassment, discrimination, medical testing, drug and alcohol testing and human rights policies
- Advising clients in relation to privacy law, pension issues, WCB and other employment‑related matters
- Providing advice to employers on safe, effective practices for hiring, downsizing and terminations
- Providing advice on provincial and federal human rights complaints including assisting with any investigation and acting as counsel throughout the process, including mediation, arbitration and litigation
- Defending employment‑related litigation
- Conducting seminars for Human Resource personnel on all aspects of employment law