Carolyn's focus is on:
Energy and commercial transactions
- Oil & gas transactions
- Commercial agreements pertaining generally to the oil & gas sector
- Commercial and corporate reorganizations and restructurings
- Energy project developments, including partnerships, joint ventures and other business combinations for both conventional and unconventional resources
- Negotiation and preparation of Impact Benefits and Participation Agreements in the energy and oil & gas sector
- Negotiation and preparation of various commercial agreements involving First Nations and Industry proponents.
- Advice on corporate governance matters for First Nations owned businesses.
- Negotiation and preparation of Joint Venture Agreements for First Nations in the energy, oil & gas and communications sectors
- Advice to First Nations on advantageous business structures, including general partnerships, limited partnerships and non-profit entities
Carolyn is the leader of BD&P's energy and project development group and a member of the Executive Committee. She is also:
- Director, Canadian Energy Law Foundation, President, 2013-2014 and Chair of the 2012 Jasper Seminar
- Panelist, Canadian Energy Law Foundation Energy Fundamentals Seminar, Canmore, Alberta, 2013
- Course Instructor in Rights of First Refusal, Canadian Association of Professional Landmen
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Past Chair, Alberta Branch of the Canadian Bar Association Natural Resources Section
Carolyn has also presented at various conferences, panels, seminars, and other events, including:
- Risky Business: When insolvency strikes, what do you do?, Canadian Bar Association Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (CCCA), May 2019
Dealing with Defunct Vendors Post-Redwater, BD&P Client Seminar, May 2019
- Redwater-The Responsibility for the End of Life Environmental Obligations, CBA Environmental, Energy & Resources Law Summit, Winnipeg, Manitoba, May 2018
- The AER and Asset Transfers: What You Need to Know Before, During & After Insolvency, Association of Corporate Counsel Alberta, June 2016
- Risky Business: Protecting Against Counterparty Default and Insolvency Risk, BD&P Client Seminar, March 2015
- What in the World is a ROFR?: An Introduction to Pre-emptive Rights, at the Canadian Energy Law Foundation Energy Fundamentals Seminar, Canmore, Alberta, February 2014
Tourmaline Oil Corp.'s $205 million acquisition of assets from Saguaro Resources Ltd.
Counsel to Tourmaline Oil Corp. in the $205 million strategic acquisition of 50% of the assets of Saguaro Resources Ltd. in the Laprise-Conroy North Montney area of British Columbia. The companies entered into a joint venture agreement to develop the assets, with Tourmaline operating the joint venture and related facilities.
Headwater Exploration Inc.'s acquisition of Cenovus Energy Inc.'s Marten Hills assets
Counsel to Headwater Exploration Inc. in the $100 million acquisition of Cenovus Energy Inc.'s Marten Hills upstream assets. The transaction comprised $35 million in cash, $50 million common shares of Headwater Exploration Inc. and $15 million purchase warrants.
Alberta Petroleum Marketing Commission crude by rail project
Counsel to the Alberta Petroleum Marketing Commission in connection with the Alberta Government's publicly announced 120,000 bbls/d, $3.7 billion crude by rail (CBR) initiative for the transportation of Alberta crude oil by rail car to markets in the U.S. and Canada.
NuVista Energy Ltd.'s $419 million strategic equity financings
Counsel to Nuvista Energy Ltd. in a $214 million private placement of subscription receipts, and a concurrent $170 million prospectus offering of subscription receipts for proceeds of $384 million, as well as in the private placement of $35 million in common shares.
MEG Energy Corp.'s $1.5 billion asset disposition
Counsel to MEG in the $1.5 billion disposition of a 50% interest in Access Pipeline and 100% interest in Stonefell Terminal to Wolf Midstream Inc.
Spur Resources Ltd.'s $407 million acquisition
Counsel to Spur Resources Ltd. in the $407.5 million acquisition by Tamarack Valley Energy Ltd.
Tourmaline Oil Corp.'s $1.3 billion acquisition of energy assets
Counsel to Tourmaline Oil Corp. in the $1.37 billion acquisition of strategic assets located in the Alberta Deep Basin and the north east British Columbia Gundy area from Shell Canada Energy.
Freehold Royalties Ltd.'s royalty and land acquisition
Counsel to Freehold Royalties Ltd. in the $165 million acquisition of royalty production and lands from Husky Energy Inc.
Murphy Oil Canada Ltd.'s disposition of natural gas assets in British Columbia
Counsel to Murphy Oil Canada Ltd., Canadian subsidiary of Murphy Oil Corporation, in the $538 million disposition of the Tupper Main and Tupper West gas plants and associated pipelines in northeastern British Columbia to Enbridge G and P Canada Limited Partnership, a subsidiary of Enbridge Inc.
Freehold Royalties Ltd. $321 million royalties' acquisition
Counsel to Freehold Royalties Ltd. in the $321 million acquisition of two royalty packages from Penn West Petroleum Ltd.
Tourmaline Oil Corp.'s Peace River High joint venture
Counsel to Tourmaline Oil Corp. in the $500 million Peace River High sale to and joint venture with Canadian Non-Operated Resources LP.
Athabasca Oil Corporation's sale of Dover Oil Sands Project
Counsel to Athabasca in the $1.18 billion sale of its 40% interest in the Dover oil sands project to Phoenix Energy Holdings Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of PetroChina International Investment Limited.
Encana Corporation's joint venture to develop Duvernay lands
Counsel to Encana Corporation (now Ovintiv Inc.) in the $2.18 billion acquisition by Phoenix Duvernay Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of PetroChina International Investment Company Limited, of a 49.9% interest in Encana's Duvernay natural gas play in West Central Alberta; at the same time, a joint venture was formed between Encana and Phoenix to develop the properties.
Crescent Point Energy Corp.'s $640 million acquisition
Counsel to Wild Stream Exploration Inc. in the $640 million acquisition by Crescent Point Energy Corp.
Encana Corporation's partnership with Mitsubishi Corporation
Counsel to Encana Corporation (now Ovintiv Inc.) in the $2.9 billion partnership with Mitsubishi Corporation whereby Mitsubishi acquired a 40% interest in Encana's natural gas assets in the Cutbank Ridge area in BC.
Athabasca Oil Sands Corp.'s energy asset sale and joint venture
Counsel to Athabasca Oil Sands Corp. in the $1.9 billion sale of 60% interest in McKay & Dover Oil Sands assets to PetroChina International Investment Company Limited and negotiated related joint venture.
Sale of natural gas assets in British Columbia and Alberta
Counsel to a potential bidder on the sale of Enbridge Inc.'s Canadian natural gas gathering and processing business in the Montney, Peace River Arch, Horn River and Liard basins.
Recent honours and recognition
Named in Who's Who Legal as a Global Elite Thought Leader in Energy (2023)
Named in Chambers Global in Energy: Oil & Gas (2023)
Named in Who's Who Legal as a recommended lawyer in Canada - Energy (2023)
Named in Who's Who Legal as a recommended lawyer in Energy - Oil & Gas (2023)
Leading lawyer in energy: oil and gas (transactional) by Chambers Canada (2029-2023)
Named in Best Lawyers in Canada as a recommended energy law lawyer (2018-2023)
Recognized by the Legal 500 Canada as a leading lawyer in energy and natural resources: oil & gas (2021-2023)
Named in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in the area of energy (oil & gas) (2018-2023)
Next-generation lawyer in energy and natural resources: oil & gas by the Legal 500 Canada (2020)
Named in Lexpert's special edition's on Canada's leading corporate lawyers (2019) and energy lawyers (2018-2020)
Named in The Legal 500 Canada as a recommended lawyer in energy and natural resources: oil & gas (2018)
May 25, 2023
New Forced and Child Labour Annual Reporting Requirements for Government Institutions and Certain Publicly Listed Entities
November 1, 2022
February 5, 2021
September 1, 2020
May 26, 2020
May 21, 2020
January 31, 2019
Supreme Court of Canada overturns Alberta Court of Appeal in Orphan Well Association v Grant Thornton Ltd.
January 7, 2019
Alberta crude oil curtailment: a Q&A. What operators need to know about the amendments to the curtailment rules
December 5, 2018
November 30, 2023
November 17, 2023
September 28, 2023
August 24, 2023
March 1, 2023
February 24, 2023
November 21, 2022
November 15, 2022
September 29, 2022
August 25, 2022
April 23, 2021
October 27, 2020
September 9, 2020
August 27, 2020
April 29, 2020
December 5, 2019
August 21, 2019
May 3, 2019
April 29, 2019
Eight partners recognized as leading lawyers in Lexpert Special Edition on Canada’s Leading Corporate Lawyers
September 21, 2018
August 21, 2018