John's focus is on:
Intellectual Property & Technology
- Licensing and technology agreements
- Purchases and sales of technology and intellectual property
- Trademarks and trademark applications
- Privacy law compliance
- Patent applications
- E-business, domain name and internet legal issues
- Corporate organizing and restructuring
- Share and asset acquisitions and dispositions
- Mergers, acquisitions and other business combinations
- General corporate and commercial matters
Start-Ups and Early-Stage Companies
Anti-Corruption & Bribery
- Design and implementation of anti-corruption policies and programs, transactional anti-corruption due diligence and related transaction matters for multinational companies
- Provision of anti-corruption advice to, and drafting of anti-corruption-compliant agreements for, companies operating in Central and South America, Eastern Europe and South East Asia
Franchises, Dealerships & Distributorships
Intellectual property and commercial experience
- Drafting intellectual property licensing, software development, and service agreements for companies with operations in multiple countries, including two cryptocurrency companies and an education company
- Negotiating and drafting intellectual property ownership and assignment agreements for an award-winning start-up data analytics company
- Negotiating and drafting long-term service, storage and supply agreements, and shared utilities and services agreements for major projects of multi-national petrochemical and utility power companies
- Advising on trademark matters and managing trademark portfolios in Canada and international jurisdictions for two software companies
- Negotiating and drafting services agreements, master service agreements, and a master reseller agreement for an international safety technology company
- Negotiating and drafting a joint development agreement and master purchase agreement for an oil & gas down-hole drilling tool developing and manufacturing company for the development of new technology and the supply of custom tools for a multi-national oil & gas services counterparty
- Negotiating and drafting software reseller agreements with two major resellers for an international time and asset management software company
- Drafting telecommunications service and supply agreements for a telecommunications company with operations across Western Canada and the North-Eastern United States. Negotiating with a US national telecommunications counterparty on internet backbone dark fibre, lit fibre and co-location agreements, and related bandwidth service agreements
- Drafting technology & patent cross-licensing agreements between two Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) companies
M&A and project experience
- Counsel to HPC Energy Services Ltd. in a 2018 Plan of Arrangement whereby TriWest Capital Partners acquired a majority interest in HPC Energy Services Ltd.
- Advising a power developer in 2018 on the development of a wind power project and on the bid in Alberta's Renewable Electricity Program
- Counsel to Enerflex Ltd., through the U.S. entity Enerflex Energy Systems Inc., in its 2017 US$106 million acquisition of U.S. based contract compression business, Mesa Compression, LLC
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Member, Canadian Technology Law Association
Graham Group’s acquisition of AECOM’s energy operations and maintenance business
Counsel to the Graham Group of Companies in the acquisition of the North American assets of AECOM’s Energy Operations and Maintenance Division. The acquisition positions the Graham Group as the third largest construction company in Canada and Western Canada’s largest industrial services company.
Greenfire Acquisition Corporation acquisition of Japan Canada Oil Sands Limited
Counsel to Greenfire Acquisition Corporation in its acquisition of all of the shares of Japan Canada Oil Sands Limited, which has a working interest in the Hangingstone facility in Alberta, for an undisclosed amount.
WestBlock Capital Inc. acquisition by LUXXFOLIO Holdings Inc.
Counsel to WestBlock Capital Inc., a cryptocurrency mining company, in its acquisition by LUXXFOLIO Holdings Inc., a digital infrastructure provider based in Canada for an undisclosed sum.
Peloton's acquisition of Cevian Technologies
Counsel to Peloton in its acquisition of Cevian Technologies, a cloud-based software company, for an undisclosed amount.
Maxim Power Corp. converting an electric generation facility from coal to natural gas
Counsel to Maxim Power Corp., through its wholly-owned subsidiary Milner Power Limited Partnership, in the conversion of the H.R. Milner electric generation facility from coal to natural gas. We advised in connection with the on-going development and financing of a state-of-the-art 204MW natural gas-fired power plant near Grande Cache, Alberta, including the acquisition of a General Electric Frame 7 F-Class combustion turbine generator and certain related equipment from Kennecott Utah Copper LLC.
Enerflex Ltd.'s acquisition of Mesa Compression, LLC
Counsel to Enerflex Ltd., through the U.S. entity Enerflex Energy Systems Inc., in its US$106 million acquisition of U.S. based contract compression business, Mesa Compression, LLC.
Power development company's acquisition of green power
Advising a power development company on a limited partnership and contract for differences with a corporate investor that was interested in acquiring green power from an independent wind project as part of its efforts to reduce its carbon footprint.
US Development Group LLC's joint venture with Gibson Energy
Counsel to US Development Group LLC in its 50/50 joint venture with Gibson Energy to advance the financing, development and construction of a Diluent Recovery Unit in Hardisty, Alberta.
TriWest Capital Partners investment in HPC Energy Services Ltd.
Counsel to HPC Energy Services Ltd. in a Plan of Arrangement whereby TriWest Capital Partners acquired a majority interest in HPC Energy Services Ltd.
Sale of Decisive Farming Corp.
Counsel to Decisive Farming Corp in the acquisition by TELUS Agriculture Solutions Inc.
November 22, 2023
October 30, 2023
February 6, 2023
October 25, 2022
May 22, 2019
Major changes to Canada’s Trademarks Act are coming into force on June 17, 2019 – are you and your business prepared?
April 8, 2019