Simina’s focus is on:
- Syndicated and bilateral financings for chartered banks, financial companies and borrowers
- Secured and unsecured financings
- Domestic and cross-border financings
- Project financing
- ISDA Master Agreement transactions
Simina was on the Board of Directors and the Treasurer of Cowtown Opera Company from 2019 to 2020.
From 2014 to 2018, Simina was a substitute lecturer (Financing and Priority of Creditors) for the University of Calgary Faculty of Continuing Education business law course.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association Insolvency Sub-Section (2010 – spring 2015)
Simina has also presented at various conferences, panels, seminars, and other events, including:
- Opinions and Forbearance Agreements, BD&P Banking Seminar, Current Issues for Junior Bankers: a Four-Part Seminar Series, March 2016
- Security Concepts Under the Alberta PPSA, BD&P Banking Seminar, Current Issues for Junior Bankers: a Four-Part Seminar Series, March 2016
- Working With External Counsel - What Should You Consider?, BD&P Banking Seminar, Current Issues for Junior Bankers: a Four-Part Seminar Series, March 2016
- Borrowing Base Reviews and Financial Covenants: What it all Means and What Happens if You Don't Make the Cut? Canadian Bar Association, Young Lawyers' Sub-Section Meeting, November 2015
- Mitigating Directors' Exposure for Personal Environmental Liability, BD&P Client Seminar, February 2014
TARA Energy Services Inc. credit facilities
Counsel to TARA Energy Services Inc., a leading Alberta-based, flow back production testing services and equipment rental business, on the refinancing of its existing senior credit facilities with Connect First Credit Union Ltd. and intercreditor arrangements with existing lenders.
PrairieSky Royalty Ltd. syndicated credit facilities
Counsel to PrairieSky Royalty Ltd. in connection with a $700 million syndicated extendable revolving credit facility and a $25 million extendable operating credit facility (2021)
Canadian Asset Management Company – Syndicated Credit Facilities
Counsel to a Canadian group of asset management companies in connection with initial syndication and subsequent increase of up to $115 million aggregate syndicated credit facilities (2022)
Decibel Cannabis Company Inc. – Credit Facilities
Counsel to Decibel Cannabis Company Inc. and its subsidiaries in connection with credit facilities provided by Connect First Credit Union Ltd. and subsequent upsize and refinancing thereof (2020, 2021, 2022)
Graham Group’s acquisition of AECOM’s energy operations and maintenance business
Counsel to the Graham Group of Companies in the acquisition of the North American assets of AECOM’s Energy Operations and Maintenance Division. The acquisition positions the Graham Group as the third largest construction company in Canada and Western Canada’s largest industrial services company.
Alberta Petroleum Marketing Commission in connection with the Keystone Expansion Project
Counsel to APMC regarding the Government of Alberta’s $1.5 billion equity investment in––and $6 billion loan guarantee in support of––the Keystone Expansion Project.
Decibel Cannabis Company Inc.'s consolidated credit facilities
Counsel to Decibel Cannabis Company Inc. and its subsidiaries in connection with consolidated credit facilities from lender ATB Financial.
TransAlta Corporation's development of a wind power project
Counsel to TransAlta Corporation in connection with the development of a 200 MW+ wind farm project following it having achieved “Selected Proponent” status under AESO’s REP Round 3 program.
Power development company's acquisition of green power
Advising a power development company on a limited partnership and contract for differences with a corporate investor that was interested in acquiring green power from an independent wind project as part of its efforts to reduce its carbon footprint.
Power company's bid to acquire Regional Power Inc.
Advising a power development company on its due diligence and bid to acquire Regional Power Inc., a corporate group with 106 MW of hydroelectric assets in BC and Ontario from ManuLife Financial Corporation.
Canadian construction company's $425 million syndicated credit facilities
Counsel to a Canadian construction company in connection with its senior secured syndicated credit facilities in an aggregate principal amount of up to $425 million.
Paramount Resources Ltd.'s $1 billion credit facility
Counsel to the agent and a syndicate of lenders in connection with a $1 billion senior secured credit facility to Paramount Resources Ltd.
Recent honours and recognition
Winner of the Lexpert Rising Stars Award (2022), honouring Canada's Leading Lawyers Under 40
Named in The Legal 500 Canada a Next Generation Partner in banking & finance (2022-2023)
Leading lawyer in Banking (2022,2023) by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Named in The Legal 500 Canada as a recommended lawyer in banking and finance (2020-2022)
March 1, 2023
Recognition from Lexpert celebrates BD&P lawyers as recommended leaders in Canada
November 23, 2022
Simina Ionescu-Mocanu named as one of Lexpert's 2022 Rising Stars
November 15, 2022
The Legal 500 2023 Rankings recognize cutting edge counsel
December 5, 2019