Tasha's focus is on:
- Energy transactions including asset and share acquisitions and dispositions, royalty transactions, mergers, amalgamations and the formation and organization of corporations, partnerships and joint ventures
- Negotiating and drafting oil & gas-related agreements
- Advice regarding joint ownership and the conduct of joint operations
- Regulatory compliance pertaining to energy transactions
- Infrastructure and project development
- Due diligence, including title review
- International energy transactions
- Commercial transactions
- Asset and share acquisitions, mergers and divestitures
- Corporate reorganizations
- Negotiating and drafting commercial agreements
- Corporate governance
- Corporate and asset due diligence
- General corporate and commercial matters
Restructuring and insolvency
- Regularly acts for purchasers of distressed assets, companies in financial distress, creditors of companies in financial distress (including chartered banks and other lenders), as well as court-appointed officers in insolvency proceedings
Tasha is heavily involved with the Wings of Hope Breast Cancer Foundation, serving as a Director; a Charity Golf Tournament, Committee Chair and Foundation Luncheon, Committee Member.
Tasha is a member of the CELF Fundamentals Conference Committee with the Canadian Energy Law Foundation.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
Tasha has also presented at various conferences, panels, seminars, and other events, including:
- Redwater: A Post-Mortem and Legal Perspective, Petroleum Accountants Society of Canada, March 2020
- LMR, the Redwater Decision and Where We Are Now, Canadian Association of Petroleum Land Administration Conference, November 2019
- Let's Talk About Royalties: the Continued Uncertainty Surrounding the Creation of the Overriding Royalty, Canadian Energy Law Foundation (CELF) Jasper Research Seminar, June 2019
- Risky Business: When insolvency strikes, what do you do?, Canadian Bar Association Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (CCCA), May 2019
- Dealing with Defunct Vendors Post-Redwater, BD&P Client Seminar, May 2019
- After Redwater: Legal and Practical Implications, Petroleum Joint Venture Association and Petroleum Accountants Society of Canada Seminar, March 2019
Greenfire Acquisition Corporation acquisition of Japan Canada Oil Sands Limited
Counsel to Greenfire Acquisition Corporation in its acquisition of all of the shares of Japan Canada Oil Sands Limited, which has a working interest in the Hangingstone facility in Alberta, for an undisclosed amount.
Sale of the of the 131 km Pioneer Pipeline by TransAlta Corporation
Counsel to TransAlta Corporation in connection with the sale by TransAlta and its partner, Tidewater Midstream & Infrastructure Ltd., of the 131 km Pioneer Pipeline to NOVA Gas Transmission Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of TC Energy Corporation, for a purchase price of $255 million.
Saguaro Resources Ltd. sale of energy assets to Tourmaline Oil Corp.
Counsel to Saguaro Resources Ltd. in the sale of 50% of its assets in the Laprise-Conroy North Montney area of British Columbia to Tourmaline Oil Corp. for $205 million. The companies entered into a joint venture agreement to development the assets with Tourmaline operating the joint venture and related facilities
ARC Resources Ltd.'s $8.1 billion combination
Counsel to ARC Resources Ltd. in its $8.1 billion strategic Montney combination with Seven Generations Energy, resulting in ARC becoming Canada's largest condensate producer, third-largest natural gas producer and sixth-largest upstream energy company.
Headwater Exploration Inc.'s acquisition of Cenovus Energy Inc.'s Marten Hills assets
Counsel to Headwater Exploration Inc. in the $100 million acquisition of Cenovus Energy Inc.'s Marten Hills upstream assets. The transaction comprised $35 million in cash, $50 million common shares of Headwater Exploration Inc. and $15 million purchase warrants.
Bellatrix Exploration Ltd.'s divestiture of substantially all of its assets
Counsel to Bellatrix Exploration Ltd. in its divestiture of substantially all of its assets to Winslow Resources Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Return Energy Inc. (renamed Spartan Delta Corp.), in the context of Bellatrix’s proceedings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act.
Restructuring of Westmorland Coal Company and its Alberta mining operations
Acted as local transactional agent counsel in regard to the cross border, Chapter 11 driven, restructuring of Westmorland Coal Company and its Alberta mining operations through its Alberta subsidiary corporations. This engagement involved several stages of debt restructuring, a complex tax structured credit bid purchase of all the shares of Westmoreland's Alberta subsidiaries, and various transactional logistics necessitated by Westmoreland's convoluted international corporate structure and Alberta's regulatory environment.
Cardinal Energy Ltd.'s $300 million acquisition of light oil assets
Counsel to Cardinal Energy Ltd. in the $300 million acquisition of light oil assets in the Weyburn/Midale area of southeast Saskatchewan and House Mountain area of Alberta.
Tourmaline Oil Corp.'s $1.3 billion acquisition of energy assets
Counsel to Tourmaline Oil Corp. in the $1.37 billion acquisition of strategic assets located in the Alberta Deep Basin and the north east British Columbia Gundy area from Shell Canada Energy.
Sale of natural gas assets in British Columbia and Alberta
Counsel to a potential bidder on the sale of Enbridge Inc.'s Canadian natural gas gathering and processing business in the Montney, Peace River Arch, Horn River and Liard basins.
Power company's bid to acquire Regional Power Inc.
Advising a power development company on its due diligence and bid to acquire Regional Power Inc., a corporate group with 106 MW of hydroelectric assets in BC and Ontario from ManuLife Financial Corporation.
Development of an LNG export project
Counsel to a consortium of limited partners and shareholders on the strategic implications of the joint development agreement on their interests as partners/shareholders and as gas suppliers to the proposed LNG export project.
December 7, 2021
May 26, 2020
December 3, 2019
Let’s talk about royalties: the continued uncertainty surrounding the creation and legal status of the overriding royalty
July 11, 2019
May 14, 2019
Bankruptcy is not a licence to ignore rules: Redwater, insolvency, and Alberta’s uncertain regulatory future
January 31, 2019