Known for attracting top-level transactional work from a broad spectrum of clients, ranging from large national and international corporations to entrepreneurial startups. A Chambers Global leading firm internationally in Energy & Natural Resources.
BD&P's Energy Team practitioners are recognized and respected leaders in their field, advising on all aspects of domestic and international energy projects and transactions, joint ventures, alliances and mergers and acquisitions.
We represent a diverse range of clients in the petroleum industry, including explorers, developers, producers, pipeline and transportation owners and operators, facilities owners and operators, lenders, public and private investors, marketers, aggregators, retailers and traders.
Our Energy Team works closely with other professionals in the firm drawing on their depth of knowledge in tax, securities, construction, intellectual property and technology, employment and labour, and oil & gas and electricity regulatory law. We are active in a number of professional organizations relevant to the industry, including the PJVA, CELF, SEPAC, CAPL, Natural Resources Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association and the Institute for Energy Law.
The practitioners on BD&P's Energy Team offer strong legal skills, practical and experienced business advice, innovative solutions and timely response to meet the specific needs and objectives of our clients.
Significant Areas of Service
- Major project shale gas and oil sands joint ventures for the development of Canada's unconventional resources
- Development of opportunities in Alberta's oil sands, including front-end engineering and design, engineering, procurement, construction management and construction
- Leading-edge projects such as coal bed methane projects
- Joint ventures, farmout, operating, royalty, participation and transportation agreements
- Acquisitions and dispositions of oil and natural gas properties and facilities
- Commodities trading and marketing
- Share transactions involving both private and public companies
- Natural gas marketing issues and sales agreements
- Construction, financing and operating of petrochemical plants and pipelines
- Corporate reorganizations
- Environmental issues
- Oil and natural gas taxation issues, including cross‑border transactions
- Oil and natural gas financings
- Co‑generation projects
- LNG projects
- Onshore and offshore drilling contracts
- International transactions
- Due diligence reviews, including title reviews and opinions
- Surface rights work
- First Nations consultation advice