Look to this Team for a wealth of experience in handling complex commercial disputes in a wide range of industries.
BD&P's Commercial & General Litigation Team has a wealth of experience in handling complex commercial litigation in a wide range of business disputes. This Team regularly appears before all levels of Alberta's Courts, the courts of other provincial jurisdictions, the Federal Court and the Supreme Court of Canada. In addition, BD&P's commercial litigators routinely appear before regulatory and administrative tribunals, the Securities Commission and the Tax Court and have significant experience in the conflict resolution models of arbitration and mediation.
Mindful of the cost and time involved in litigation, members of this Team seek to find efficient, cost‑effective, negotiated solutions for our clients' commercial disputes wherever possible. Our litigators work closely with other lawyers within the firm as part of a cross‑disciplinary team, drawing on the skills and knowledge of lawyers in tax, commercial transactions, banking and finance, securities, intellectual property and other areas as the need arises. This Team also works regularly with professionals outside the firm, such as accountants, valuators, economists, and engineers in order to provide full and complete representation in relation to their clients' personal and business disputes.
Significant Areas of Service
- Contractual interpretation and disputes
- Corporate disputes, including shareholder and partnership disputes, actions for and against directors and officers, and share valuation proceedings
- Disputes relating to corporate governance
- Banking‑related disputes, including securities interpretation, receiverships and creditor priorities
- Construction and engineering disputes
- Intellectual property and technology litigation
- Professional liability claims
- Personal injury litigation
- Products liability litigation
- Environmental liabilities
- Tax litigation
- Securities litigation
- Aviation litigation
- Aboriginal litigation