Representing clients as diverse as their projects.
BD&P's Construction Team has the depth of knowledge and experience to handle the complexities of construction projects of all sizes. Our clients are as diverse as their projects and our construction team has assisted clients in virtually all sectors of the industry including owners, contractors, subcontractors, engineers, architects and suppliers. We have been involved at all stages of construction including financing, project management, and the design and construction of such varied undertakings as mega-energy projects (oil sands to offshore), gas and power plants, pipelines and gathering systems, water and environmental engineering projects, transportation projects and commercial, office and retail buildings.
Our Team routinely structures, drafts and negotiates a wide array of construction contracts, including EPC, EPCM contracts and Public-Private Partnerships. Our experience and market knowledge enables us to provide practical, timely and effective legal support throughout the construction process, offering advice on minimizing risk and providing solutions to complex problems specific to the particular project. Our construction litigators are experienced in providing advice at the contract stage with a view to better positioning a client when disputes arise. We work as an integrated team to meet the full range of our clients' project needs.
Our Team benefits from the counsel of Donald J. Chernichen, Q.C., a fellow of the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers, who was an advocate and adviser on a broad range of commercial and industrial construction projects for over 35 years.
Significant Areas of Service
- Negotiation and preparation of tender packages and joint venture, confidentiality, consulting, engineering services, and architectural services agreements
- Negotiation and preparation of construction, construction management, sub-contract, supply and mining services agreements
- Negotiation and preparation of Engineering, Procurement, & Construction (EPC) and Design/Build contracts
- Negotiation and preparation of Engineering, Procurement, & Construction Management (EPCM) contracts
- Operational issues
- Public-Private partnerships
- Project and contract structuring
- Risk identification, analysis and mitigation
- Regulatory and municipal planning approvals
- Preparation of construction security documentation